The Lahore Supreme Court deferred on Friday the lawsuit against the presumed predecessor of the November 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, where more than 160 people died.
Hafiz Saeed is the chief of Jama’at-ud-Da’wah (JuD), a charity of which many believe they are a front for the militant group, whose Saeed co-founder Lashkar-e-Taiba – United Nations Organization, the EU and several countries.
Saeed and four helpers were placed under house arrest in January under the Anti-Hunger Act in Pakistan, but no formal charges have yet been brought against him. The judge accepted the request of the Ministry of the Interior to submit his evidence against Saeed to him in his chambers, due to the sensitivity of the case.Saeeds Defender, A.K. Dogar, questioned the detention of his client and claimed that Saeed and his assistants had been arrested for the pressure from India and the US, which offered Saeed’s $ 10 million arrest. Saeed surpasses India’s most popular list as he is accused of involvement in a series of attacks on Indian soil in 2001. Saeed contests the allegations.
“Indian pressure has resulted in the Hafiz government holding Saeed in detention,” a JuD spokesman told Arab News. “Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had tried to please the Indian Prime Minister Modi by friendly gestures and had promised to keep this friendship intact. Instead of the Indian propaganda, which includes the Americans, the Pakistani Foreign Minister had agreed with his demands and the Pakistani people left unprotected and arrested.
The spokesman claimed that Indian efforts to punish Saeed were not associated with terrorist attacks, but with JuD’s support for the independence of Kashmiris.
“Indians hate JuD because of his unflinching support for the Kashmir cause,” he said. “We have committed evidence of Indian atrocities against the people of Kashmir, who strive for self-determination, and this exacerbates them.”
On Tuesday, Dogar reportedly described Saeed’s arrest as “illegal and a violation of fundamental rights” and urged the court to annul the imprisonment.
The court warned that Saeed, whose first 90-day sentence had already been extended twice, would be released if the government failed to provide evidence to arrest him.
“No citizen can be detained for a longer period solely because of press reviews,” said Justice Minister Saeed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi, who was reportedly annoyed by the absence of officials from the Ministry of Interior at the hearing. He added that the “government behavior” suggests that “there is no substantial evidence against the petitioner”.